Looking to grow and spread your knowledge 😎 around cloud, DevOps, modern web architectures & practices? We should talk!
Skyscrapers helps an increasing number of startups, scale-ups and SaaS development teams with their DevOps journey. To cope with that growth, and with the other plans we have lined up we are looking for help in the Experts Circle (= our parlance for a team) where we are looking for a remote Cloud Native Expert. Oh, and your pet is welcome as well.
Remote Cloud Native Expert
As remote Cloud Native Expert you are the go-to expert towards our customers and colleagues. You help define opinionated best practices, architectural patterns and DevOps practices that are based on our services and technologies. You deliver these and guide customers in whatever form that fits best like expert sessions, workshops, training-sessions, webinars, writing and hands-on consulting. The main audience is SRE-as-a-Service customers, but so are new customers in short consulting-like (and remote) engagements. You will also participate in technical pre-sales tracks to help explore how to best onboard new customers.
A typical week as Cloud Native Expert could look like this:
- Doing a sparring session over Zoom with a customer on how to best use Istio in their application or what database setup would work best for their specific workload.
- Doing research on the AWS Well Architected Framework.
- Delivering advice and expertise through Zoom calls and GitHub issues.
- Write a blogpost on a concrete challenge you solved.
- Provide input to the Platform Circle on how to best implement certain new features and architectural patterns.
- Together with sales (Frederik) do an in-depth exploration of the workloads of a new customer to figure out how to best onboard them.
- Deliver a multi-part workshop to a development team to help them containerise one of their workloads.
- Do a Kubernetes Proof-of-Concept workshop with developers from a scale-up.
- Participate in the Experts Circle policy meeting (from time to time) to evolve how we work.
- Attend Monday check-in and Friday check-out meetings with the whole team.
One of the great things about how we are organised is that it allows people to take up additional, secondary roles in the company. Depending on your skills and desires that we discover during the interviews, it could be that you can also contribute to other circles like the Customer Success or the Platform Circles. You can find out more about those in this recent post.
What are we looking for
While a 🦄 would be nice, what we are really looking for is a person with the following traits:
- Positive, problem-solving and optimistic mindset that sees solutions rather than problems.
- Ambition to participate in and actively be part of shaping a small but growing company (learn more about the how here ).
- Feel comfortable working remotely and having the necessary structure to plan your own day.
- Strong opinion on how to solve certain challenges and how to do things, yet have an open mind to criticism and other viewpoints so you can keep on learning.
- Good listener and you can connect with people detecting how they might feel, what they really need and what drives them.
We’re also looking for some specific requirements, skills and experience. The more of the following you have in you, the better. But don’t worry, we don’t expect you to be perfect. We are neither (unless you are that 🦄):
- This is a remote role, but due to some GDPR challenges we prefer you be based in the EU
- Good understanding of (web-)development: technologies used, containers, serverless, middleware (queues, schedulers, etc), instrumentation, processes, methodologies, CI/CD, cloud-architectures, etc … so you can understand at a high level what our customers are doing and may need.
- Good understanding of most of our tech and how they solve customers’ challenges: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, services meshes (Istio, ... ), instrumentation (Grafana, Prometheus, Jaeger, ...), Docker, Terraform, AWS Lambda, Linux sysadmin, databases (relational and beyond)...
- Awareness of architectural best practices like the AWS Well Architected Framework, Cloud Native design principles, micro-services, etc.
- Having experience with consulting, doing reviews and training are definitely a plus.
- Have good writing and reading skills in English. Being a remote company AND working with customers remotely as well, this is our primary mode of communication. We still do have meetings, so speaking English fluently comes in handy.
- Be in the European Union so that our GDPR commitments towards our customers are respected. While not our preferred choice (we already have a colleague outside of the EU), for now we want to keep it simple. This will change in the future.
- Willingness to participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation (1 week every x weeks, low number of incidents).
- Having AWS, Azure, Google or CNCF certs helps us with keeping our partner levels up. So if you have them, great! If not, we’ll help you get them.
What’s in it for you
- You’ll be a forerunner as we work with innovative technologies for growing and ambitious SaaS companies.
- Compensation between:
- EU contractors: between € 40.000 and € 85.000/year, stable contract
- BE employees: between € 3.000 - € 5.000 gross/month + benefits
- Flexible work-times (pick-up kids, go to the shop during low-time, etc)
- Payed conferences (are they back yet?!)
- Retreats (next one planned for October, let's hope you can join already)
- Generous vacation allocation (30 days+)
- Grow your cloud and DevOps skills in a like-minded and diverse team
- Cats and other pets are welcome: Meet them here.
We're not your typical 9 to 5 top-down-power company with a nice daily commute.
- Remote working veterans: we’ve been remote for over 7 years now. And we love it.
- Flat and organic structure based on self-management: This allows everybody in the team to make a difference and be part of our future.
- 100% transparency is one of our core values. All the information is open: pay, money, customer information, backlogs, etc.
- Result oriented: Your productivity should speak for itself. With that in mind we’re gradually evolving towards a results-only based working environment.
- Cats and other pets are welcome
You can learn more about that here: how we work and what we offer .
Ok, consider me interested! Now what?
Want to explore the next step? Go directly to the application form: