This is a full-time, 100% remote role. Due to EU GDPR reasons and limited time we will prefer candidates based in the EU although we’re open to accepting candidates up to +/- 3 hours away from CET. You want to know more about the bigger picture behind the hiring? Check out this article and the general hiring page.
Through passion, DevOps expertise and opinionated cloud platforms (based on Kubernetes) we accelerate an increasing number of SaaS customers and their development teams. The typical customer size is anywhere between 2 to 40 developers. We are their trusted DevOps team and have long-term cooperations with our customers.
The domain-specific expertise and experience around SaaS that we’ve built up over the years is a key ingredient in our DevOps-as-a-Service offering. Due to an increasing customer base and more exciting SaaS projects, we are looking for help to grow the Expert Circle (more about that below).
Sounds like the right challenge to you?
What does your job look like?
Together with your other colleagues in the Experts Circle, you lead in shaping and delivering what we call "opinionated expertise" around SaaS architectures, DevOps and cloud platforms like AWS and Azure. You’ll be working closely with our (future and existing) customers' technical leads, developers and architects. Furthermore your expertise is fed by the research you do, the customer challenges you explore and the solutions you provide, prototype and roll-out. You help shape the developer-platform blueprint that we have, called our ‘Reference Solution’, which is based on AWS/Azure services, Kubernetes and a bunch of open source software.
Existing customers depend on you for sparring, for help with designing and building new services and learning about DevOps and Cloud Native topics. Sales will rely on you to help out with finding the right path to a solution, to help make plans and to onboard new SaaS customers. The world will learn from you through workshops and other content.
An overview of typical activities in this team today:
- Create Statements-of-Work and Prepare work backlogs for new projects
- Do Proof-of-Concepts, research new platform features and explore exotic use cases for our Reference Solution
- Do developer-oriented Kubernetes Workshops, do sparring sessions with developers, guide and support workload migrations
- Help debug non-urgent, complex workload issues, and respond to advanced support questions
- Implement platform configuration changes and implementations using existing components (through IaC)
- Help in project planning and guarding technical context within projects
- Perform cost optimisation reviews (AWS RI’s, savings plans, sizing, etc), architural reviews, etc
- Support Sales Person in commercial conversations with customers
- From time-to-time (every so many weeks) participate in a (low incident) on-call rotation
What we’d love about you
- Having a consultative/guiding/curious nature
- You need to be able to figure out and understand the real WHY behind the needs and tech, and propose the best path forward
- Be opinionated on how to do cloud and DevOps things in a SaaS context, but be open to new/different ideas and be able to adjust accordingly
- Have good writing skills and the ability to communicate your expertise and solutions in clear ways
- AWS experience is a requirement, Azure and/or Google Cloud is a bonus
- Experience in consulting or (solutions, application, cloud) architecting is a bonus
- The more experience you have in any category that we are active in, the better. This is anything from DevOps practices, (SaaS) cloud and application architectures, containerisation, application migrations, Kubernetes, etc
- Having an AWS certification, a CNCF certification or any other relevant Cloud/DevOps certification is a plus
Like with all Skyscrapers, we expect:
- Respect, honesty and transparency are important values to us
- Excellent writing skills, both for documents and in communication
- To be professional and ready to take responsibility wherever needed
- Open mindset and willing to give AND receive feedback
- A mindset of continuous improvement: for yourself as a person and for the team your work in
For this role we're looking at a yearly compensation of between € 40K and € 100K. This needs some explanation.
We all say money doesn’t make us happy, but it better be right. Only then can we do what we love and grow. At Skyscrapers compensation is discussed openly. Internally we are fully transparent: on pay, how much money is in the bank, etc. When figuring out how much you should make, our starting point is our current compensation model, what you'll be contributing, where you live and what you need. In one of the last conversations we'll put it all on the table in all transparency. We’ll be very open and honest with you. We hope the same from you.
What else do we offer you?
So much! remote working, flexible work-times, personal development through our resident personal coach and so on. Too much to list here. Check out the hiring page for details.
The Expert Circle
The people in this circle are focused on developing, maintaining, delivering and championing opinionated expertise around best practices, architectural patterns and DevOps that help solve customer’s needs and improve their Cloud Native maturity. You'll be strongly influencing all (opinionated) technology, architectural and DevOps patterns and best-practices, training and workshops and presales activities.
Together with the Customer Success and Platform Circle this circle forms what constitutes our DevOps-as-a-Service offering, beloved by our customers.
You can find more on the background of this structure here.
Want to know more?
- Check out this blog article that came with this job post for more context.
- For information on working at Skyscrapers, benefits, hiring process, etc check out the hiring page.
- Want to know how we make our customer feel? Check out our customers’ praise page.
You think we are the right fit for you? Great, the next step is easy ... apply below!