Skyscrapers helps iVox launch National campaigns on AWSPublished on September 25, 2015 by Frederik Denkens
iVox had developed a new survey-platform for a national campaign. They were uncertain if their application would be able to handle what was coming:
- Prime-time national exposure
- Expectation of up to 1.500.000 million visitors, up to 25K concurrent visitors
- High-exposure campaign, with major media-brands as stakeholder
Once our experts reviewed the application and architecture, we quickly noticed major bottlenecks. These could potentially cost the customer a lot of money:
- a LOT of hosting infrastructure needed to scale the monolithic, session-full application
- brand-damage due to the high risk of downtime or bad performance
In strong collaboration with their development team we were able to mitigate all these bottlenecks. Which resulted in a success for our customer who was able to handle the peak load:
- Required hosting cost went from $ 10.000 to $ 2.500 for a similar campaign
- Went from high-latency (0,5s – 2s) to 700ms – 1s latencies, even under high stress
- From a worried customer to a very happy customer
How did we realise this amazing result? By sharing our insights into cloud-native design practices and cloud, we took big steps:
- Review storage strategies of ALL data in the application
- Made the application stateless
- Reduced server touch-points during the application by 90%
- Event based auto-scaling
Our Managed Cloud Services made sure that the 24/7 operations were smooth as silk during the campaign .
Future steps we’re looking at:
- Introducing Continuous Integration (CI) in combination with automated deployments for being able to quickly launch new campaigns.
- Further optimising the application by decoupling certain functionalities
Want to discover how we can help you launch new, large-scale campaigns without worries? Get in touch!